Alec Baldwin accuses ‘Rust’ crew members of negligence in new lawsuit

Alec Baldwin has sued over last year’s fatal shooting on the set of “Rust,” claiming the negligence of several members of the film’s crew as they sought to “clear his name.”

The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, identifies first assistant director, armorer, ammunition supplier and prop master for West as defendants.

Baldwin’s corresponding complaint follows a lawsuit filed last year by the film’s script supervisor, Mamie Mitchell. The civil lawsuit accused Baldwin of “playing Russian roulette” by pointing a Colt .45 pistol at cinematographer Helena Hutchins, accidentally shooting and killing her. Director Joel Sousa was also injured in the shooting incident in October 2021.

“More than anyone else in that group, Baldwin has been wrongly seen as the perpetrator of this tragedy,” Alec Baldwin’s attorney, Luke Nikas of Quinn Emmanuel, said in the complaint. “Through these conflicting allegations, Baldwin seeks to clear his name and hold the conflicting defendants accountable for their misconduct.”

Alec Baldwin, President of the Hamptons International Film Festival, attends the world premiere of National Geographic’s “First Wave” documentaries at the Hamptons International Film Festival, October 7, 2021, in East Hampton, New York

Mark Salioko / Getty Images

Authorities said Hutchins was killed by a live bullet inside the rifle. Questions surrounded how live ammunition got into the New Mexico range and into the support pistol and whether crew members had taken appropriate safety precautions.

Those named in Baldwin’s lawsuit have denied any guilt amid an investigation into the shooting and other lawsuits.

Mamie Mitchell’s attorney, Gloria Allred, issued a statement late Friday night in response to Baldwin’s lawsuit, saying that “his cross-cutting complaint is a shameful attempt to place blame on others, just as he has done since he fired the fatal shot that killed Ms. Hutchins.”

“[Baldwin] He claims that everyone else was negligent and that everyone else was wrong, Allred continued. Baldwin seems to be arguing that he’s the only one who’s really innocent… he was [Baldwin] which failed to ensure that the rifle did not contain live ammunition in violation of industry protocols and common sense. [He] can’t escape [his] Responsibility for this terrible tragedy by reference [the] Finger on everyone.

The film’s first assistant director, Dave Holz, handed the gun to Baldwin as he advertised the “cold gun,” telling the crew to use a pistol without live rounds, according to an affidavit. Holes reportedly told investigators he did not know there was any live ammunition in the gun when he gave it to Baldwin, according to the affidavit.

Baldwin’s lawsuit alleges that the film’s maker, Hana Gutierrez Reed, “failed to carefully check bullets or the gun” and was acting “recklessly,” including allegedly moving the film’s pistols to a shooting range for target training.

Gutierrez-Reed’s attorney previously said his client had no idea where the live tours came from, and that she wasn’t in the church where the rehearsal was taking place.

“Baldwin is solely responsible for the damage done,” her attorney, Jason Bowles, said in response to Baldwin’s lawsuit. “He refused to train, drew the pistol and pulled the trigger without the gunsmith present. His arrogance is amazing. It’s his fault period.”

Earlier this year, Gutierrez-Reed filed a lawsuit accusing Albuquerque Prop House PDQ Arm and Prop LLC of providing live rounds in a box that was supposed to contain only dummy rounds.

In an interview with ABC News days after the shooting, prop house owner Seth Kenney denied that the live round and other live ammunition found by investigators on the set came from his company.

“It’s not likely that they came from PDQ or from myself personally,” Kenny said. “When we send mock rounds, the rattle is individually tested before they are sent out.”

Additionally, Baldwin’s lawsuit alleges that the film’s director, Sarah Zachary, failed to disclose that Gutierrez Reid “was a danger to the safety of those around her.”

The lawsuit alleges that Baldwin “suffered severe damages” as a result of the defendants’ alleged negligence.

“He suffered both physically and emotionally from the grief caused by these events. Not a day went by without thinking and suffering from the events of that day,” the complaint read. “Baldwin has also lost several job opportunities and related income. For example, he was explicitly fired from multiple jobs due to the ‘Rust’ incident and was overtaken for other opportunities.”

Seeks an unspecified amount of damages, including compensation for any damages that may arise from Mitchell’s suit

After a year-long investigation into the shootings, the Santa County Sheriff’s Office last month turned over its report to the local attorney general, who will decide whether to file criminal charges against anyone involved in the shooting.

Last month, the Hutchins family reached a settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit against the film’s producers, including Baldwin.

#Alec #Baldwin #accuses #Rust #crew #members #negligence #lawsuit

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *